I break for birthdays

Today, many are celebrating the life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.  Well, let's be honest here... today, many are celebrating a day-off from school/work, and are posting MLK quotes in their facebook status to make themselves feel better about the fact that they are still in their PJs and it's almost noon.

Hey, I won't deny the fact that I'm one of them - minus the MLK quote, even (shame, shame). And it has absolutely nothing to do with me not appreciating such an amazing civil rights leader, the likes of which our nation has yet to see again.  True to my word, I remember this day from  two years ago.  I am constantly reminded that oppression still exists in our world.  That the work started by Dr. King is no where close to being finished.  That through his life, we learned peace can make a difference.

I could go on and on, but the thing is, this post isn't about iconic peaceful demonstrators.  This post is about my incredible little sister.  Today is Vanessa's birthday!!!  HAPPY BIRTHDAY VANESSA!

 Technically we already celebrated Vanessa's b-day on Saturday, with an epic trampoline jumping adventure at Sky High Sports.  It was fun for the whole family!


Vanessa and I are alike in this: we both want really big birthday celebrations, so we just plan them ourselves.  This year, she orchestrated such a wonderful event - complete with a private jumping court, access to the foam pit, cupcakes (red velvet cupcakes, to be exact), and so much laughter.


Vanessa, I've written you enough gushy letters and cards over the past few years that I hope you know how ridiculously proud of you I am.  It has been such a privilege to watch you transform into this amazing, vibrant, compassionate woman.  You love others and you are dedicated to social justice.  My social worker heart is bursting.  :)


I'm so excited to see where the Lord takes you this year.

I love you!

Love,
Natalie

P.S. Let's take some new pictures together - these ones are just way too old!!

Comments

Vanessa's Dad said…
Awww...

Warms a father's heart.

LOVE,
DAD
Carol J. Brown said…
Enjoyed the pictures, both old and new. I cringe at the idea of getting on a trampoline, but it looks like it was a good time for those who dared.