oh it's been ages

I'm taking a quick break from the never-ending task of packing (we're moving out in a few days ... and into our *gulp* parents' houses for a month until Joelle gets her new house and we can regain our independence) to catch you up on some of my recent life-happenings.

First of all:

I GRADUATED!

I wasn't too sure how I felt about it all (as you know from my previous entry). The day BEFORE graduation I was offered a letter of intent from the Salem-Keizer School District. Basically, I had a job, but I couldn't quite tell you where or what grade... yet. Then, this MORNING I woke up to a phone call from Human Resources offering me a position.

I will be teaching (bilingual) third grade at Auburn Elementary School next year. Click on that link if you want to read a little bit more about my future home. Basically, it's the largest elementary school in the district. I will be one of FIVE third grade teachers, and my classroom is out in this crappy little portable with no sink and no storage. But I'll count my blessings: I have a JOB (in this economy), I was hired BEFORE I even graduated, and I never even once applied for anything.

Ironically enough, just hours after accepting the position at Auburn, I received an e-mail from PSU offering me a spot in the MSW program. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?! Of course I'm not going to take it (I'd be a fool to pass up this job opportunity), but it's still a bit heart bending.

A few weeks prior to graduation, I took my second graders on a field trip to The Springs. We interviewed the residents about their "Oregon Stories" to celebrate our state's sesquicentennial. The kids absolutely ADORED this experience, and it was incredibly eye opening for them. They were shocked to learn there was once a time with no cars, no TV, and no toy stores. :)

Here's sweet Grandma B with a few of my hoodlums. They sure loved her. (I do too)


Finally, although it was terrible timing (he was sick and I'm in the process of moving 23 years worth of memories into my mother's garage), Q and I came across a deal we simply could not pass up. So we escaped to the Oregon Garden Resort for a few days and it just might be the highlight of my summer. We enjoyed a complimentary dinner, bottle of wine, breakfast, and garden admission. We (mainly he) took about a zillion pictures with his snazzy new camera, including the one below. Which I would just like to point out, Quinn took himself. Crafty, huh?


Well, my disaster-of-a-kitchen is calling my name. Back to packing.

Comments

Anonymous said…
CONGRATULATIONS!!! Third grade is the absolute best! Way to be so awesome!
Kendra said…
That IS a snazzy picture =)

Where is the Garden Resort?

I am so proud of you and soooo excited for your new job. I think it was NO mistake that you got the email from PSU AFTER you accepted the job. I personally believe, that when God knows we are going to make the "wrong" choice between two, He simply closes the door to one of them. When Dave applied to the Masters' programs at both PSU and U of O, I just assumed since he is so brilliant (and cute!) that he would get into both schools, and I decided that I preferred Eugene. THAT was where we were moving in my mind!! Well, God just closed the door. Dave didn't get accepted into U of O, and since then, it has been made very clear we are meant to be here in Portland!!!!!
He has your best interest at heart!
Kendra said…
That IS a snazzy picture =)

Where is the Garden Resort?

I am so proud of you and soooo excited for your new job. I think it was NO mistake that you got the email from PSU AFTER you accepted the job. I personally believe, that when God knows we are going to make the "wrong" choice between two, He simply closes the door to one of them. When Dave applied to the Masters' programs at both PSU and U of O, I just assumed since he is so brilliant (and cute!) that he would get into both schools, and I decided that I preferred Eugene. THAT was where we were moving in my mind!! Well, God just closed the door. Dave didn't get accepted into U of O, and since then, it has been made very clear we are meant to be here in Portland!!!!!
He has your best interest at heart!
Vanessa's Dad said…
Read this entry when it came out, but didn't make any comment. Now, I'll tell ya that Dad is very proud of is daughter "Summa" and I'm even more delighted that you will be working in Salem, and not out of town, state or in some foreign country.

You and 24j are blessed to have each other. I think not living and home and not being in school will be a First for you, and a big step on figuring out What's Next for Natalie.

LOVE, DAD
Kaitlynn said…
Oh I love you. I am so proud of my Spanish speaking BFF. You are going to be an amazing teacher!