The Birth of Lucy, Part 1: (very) Early Labor

I told everyone she was coming early, but no one believed me. Considering we still had several weeks until her due date - coupled with the common belief that first babies typically come late - I'm sure they were all just trying to mitigate my discomfort by encouraging a different mindset.

But I knew. You could say I had a bit of "insider knowledge" on the situation.

I woke Saturday morning to a few strong contractions, but tried to ignore them since I didn't want to miss out on my sister's Bridal Shower that afternoon. I checked in with my midwife and she encouraged me to trust that my body would tell me when/if it was time to turn around, so I haphazardly spread a chux pad and beach towel across the driver’s seat of my car and kissed my sleeping husband goodbye, whispering, “I love you! I hope I don’t have our baby while I’m gone!”

I laughed as I recalled my aunt’s very specific instructions not to go into labor on this day. What are the odds?

I carpooled to the shower, but insisted on driving the 3.5 hours north. Along the way I silently noted each contraction, but didn’t really draw much attention to them since they weren't very patterned. I rather successfully managed to mask my discomfort right up until the very end of our trip, when we reached a large hill just a few minutes from the venue. Something about the action of pressing my foot to the gas pedal made my next contraction almost unbearable. My mom noticed and offered to drive the rest of the way, but - not wanting to be dramatic - I waved her off. That is, until we rounded the corner and I saw yet another hill. I felt my belly tightening and rapidly flipped on my blinker and turned down a side street, unbuckling my seatbelt and hopping out of the car.  This would be a precursor to my preferred position for all contractions during labor: standing. I leaned over the side of the vehicle, shifting my weight back and forth between my feet and breathing deeply until the pain subsided.

My mom drove us the final 45 seconds to Bridal Shower (we were embarrassingly close!), and while our original plan was to just drop the gifts and leave, I noticed my contractions slowing in both interval and intensity as I waddled into the room. We decided to stay awhile longer and I truly believe the few hours we spent there - laughing and praying and celebrating - helped fuel my oxytocin tank for labor.

Plus, how cute is my sister? I'm so happy I didn't have to miss this!

My contractions resumed in the car on the way home, but my stubborn need to control the situation had me back in the driver's seat. My mom tried to distract me from the traffic and my discomfort by making casual conversation.
"So, what are you going to do tomorrow?" she asked.

I gave her the side eye and said, with complete confidence,  "I'm going to have a baby!"

By the time we arrived back at my house, I could barely sit through the surges anymore. Mirra (my midwife) texted for an update and she asked me to describe my contractions:


Our routine was to take my weekly bump photos on Sundays, but I had the sense I likely wouldn't want to pose for any photographs the next day and requested Justin take my picture a night early. I’m so glad I did because he just so happened to capture me mid-contraction and I love that you can see the look of relief and joyful expectancy on my face once it's over!


I (somewhat frantically) urged him to install the car seat and assemble the co-sleeper, and then at Mirra’s suggestion, we retreated to the basement where I moved through some prenatal yoga and Justin played the guitar and sang worship. I remember pausing mid-pose, resting my hand on my tightened belly, and thinking to myself, "This moment is going to be a part of Lucy's birth story." For what felt like the first time in my entire pregnancy, I was completely at peace.

And yet, despite knowing Lucy's birth story had begun, I naively sent Justin to work that night. I guess I just assumed we still had tons of time...

Comments