The Birth of Ruth, Part 1: Early Labor

Imagine my delight when I woke around 5:30 the morning of my due date to a strong contraction. Could it be? I lay in bed and waited, and sure enough another one came. Everyone else was still asleep, so I breathed quietly through a few more before my excitement got the best of me and I waddled downstairs for a long shower. 
 
I found my mother-in-law and told her the good news, then I slowly made my way back upstairs to wake Justin. "Hey, wanna have a baby today?" 

Lucy called out from her crib shortly after and we both went in to get her. Since we weren't sure when or how I'd go into labor, we'd been prepping her for weeks in case she was present for the birth. Her eyes lit up when I shared that her sister was likely coming that day, and she immediately went into what Justin and I refer to as "Project Manager Mode."
 
"Okay mommy. I will bring Puppy
(her special lovey) to comfort you. I know you can push that baby out. You are so strong!"

Wanting to center myself in as much familiar strength as possible, I dressed myself in the same outfit I wore the day I went into labor with Lucy and snapped my final weekly bump photo.
I call this my "lucky labor dress."

The next several hours were spent leisurely doing whatever the heck I wanted as I intentionally boosted my oxytocin and relaxed into labor:
  • Lucy and I snuggled and bounced together on the yoga ball
  • Justin brought me a hearty breakfast in bed
  • I watched a few Netflix shows to make me laugh
  • Justin and I strolled around the neighborhood, casually waving at neighbors, as I subtly squeezed his hand every once in a while through a contraction - reveling in the precious secret occurring inside of me as we walked
  • I made phone calls to register Lucy for preschool
  • We attempted a family nap

All day long the contractions continued, persistent but un-patterned. Amazingly, the anxiety I had been carrying for the last several weeks lifted as I settled into the comfortable space of trusting that my body, and my baby, knew what to do.

Around 4:00pm, I experienced the kind of craving that just cannot be ignored.  I hopped in my car for my last solo-adventure, breathing through several contractions on the short drive to Burgerville. I returned home, satiated by my labor-fuel, and retreated back upstairs for more solitude and rest.  I instinctively knew this was time to preserve as much energy as possible...

Comments