Fingerprints of God

This blog brought me to heart-tears.  You know, the kind that may not spill out onto your cheeks but you can feel warming the insides of soul?  I know we all struggle with this issue of loving ourselves, and I am so grateful that someone is taking this fight beyond our physical characteristics and into the very nature of our being.  I find it so easy to provide encouragement to others, especially when they battle with self-loathing.  I can quite comfortably sit next to someone and list off their fantastic qualities.  I don't even have to know you very well to find something I like about you.

But you see, Satan is so sneaky.  He convinces us that thinking and speaking poorly of ourselves is some twisted form of humility.  And if you know much about Christianity, you know humility is pretty key.

I'm not saying we all need to purchase megaphones and roam the streets declaring our own praises, shouting to the world about how AWESOME we are.  (Ron Burgundy, anyone?) No no.  I'm just saying, by beating ourselves up, tearing ourselves apart, criticizing every single thing we see and do as "flaws"... well, we're making a mockery of our Creator.  He hung the moon and splattered the stars.  He intricately designed a system of nerves and organs and tissues and cells that begin microscopically and somehow grow into living, breathing beings.  And we question Him? 

Recently, God placed these verses on my heart as encouragement to my own struggle with self-love (I'll admit, taken slightly out of context... but I find the Bible sometimes has a way of molding itself to touch our unique hurts... it is, after all, the Living Word of God):

"For who do you know that really knows YOU, knows your heart?  And even if they did, is there anything they would discover in you that you could take credit for?  Isn't everything you HAVE and everything you ARE sheer gifts from God?  So what's the point of all this comparing and competing?  You already have all you need." 1 Corinthians 4:7-8 (Message)

 And, while it goes slightly against the otherwise quite pure message of this blog, here's an infamous Ron Burgundy scene.  FYI: God thinks you are a very big deal, leather books and rich mahogany aside.

 

Comments

Kendra said…
Love me some Ron Burgundy.

=)

What a beautiful post Natalie. I couldn't agree more. As I find myself praying for my children, I find myself asking that they are confident...but not arrogant. It's a strange emotion. You are so right, humility is "key" to Christianity. But, confidence is not a bad thing. And one can be TOO humble in the name of being a "good Christian" and allow themselves to get walked all over...which is not what I think God had in mind.
Vanessa's Dad said…
Amen.

It's Spiritual Ju Jitsu. From C. S. Lewis' "Screwtape Letters," we learn so much by looking at the enemy, and how he would approach us... like a King of the Mountain Game, as he just wants to push, or pull, us off the top, where we are close to God. If we are too confident, he will push us that way... toward pride. If we are too humble, he will pull us that way... toward self-hate.

It's a tension and a balance, which we can only reach by loving God with all our hearts, and loving each other as He loved us. Can't do that on our own. But, by seeking His will, we can do anything, including loving ourselves right, and loving the unlovely.

Your post is inspiring. You are a gifted writer... and encourager.

LOVE,
DAD
Natalie. You hit the nail on the head when you recognized your VERY SPECIAL quality of see something special in everyone around you and telling them. You are a natural friend finder.
The issue of humility vs. pride is what we were studying Isaiah 37 at Bible Study Fellowship last week.
Please don't be hard on yourself! You are truly a gift to others. It's hard to believe that some of the yucky moments now will be a source of humor to you in the future.
I love you and am so proud of you! mom