How I Became a Karaoke Junkie

Some of you may be surprised to learn that I was plagued by paralyzing stage fright for several years.  During this time, I did not sing in front of other people at all.  Not even in the car.  When I was 22, I was entered into a Miss American Preliminary pageant, where I was forced to perform a talent.  This would be my very first public performance since high school.
To prepare myself, I began frequenting karaoke dive bars in an attempt to combat the swarm of butterflies that threatened to make me lose my lunch every time I stepped up to a microphone.  I quickly became enthralled by the atmosphere - the tacky decorations, the random song selections, the freedom to sing completely off key without fear or judgment, the "regulars" (entertainment enough just to watch some of them) - and soon enough my nerves were replaced by excitement.

Now, I'm so obsessed with karaoke, I keep a song list in my phone so I'm ready to go at the drop of a hat.  I even hosted a private karaoke party in my living room for my 24th birthday.
All of this is to say, if you're ever looking for a duet partner, I'm your girl.

Comments

Carol J. Brown said…
There's not enough practice methods in the world to get rid of my butterflies if I have to do anything in front of an audience.

More power to you.
Vanessa's Dad said…
Hey, you're an allstar!

LOVE,
DAD
We were at a Clay Walker concert in Dallas. You may remember that he has MS. He was using his iPhone to remember the lyrics when singing.
fun!