Comfort

"He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us."
-2 Corinthians 1:4

I have about 19481049124 things I want to say, and absolutely no time to say them.  But lately, my devotional (finally started reading Streams in the Desert) has been completely rocking my world.  Not only does the writing make my heart swoon with its eloquence, but the messages each day seem tailor made for my very soul.

I have this tendency to adopt a verse for each season of my life, and use it almost like a mantra to God. It is repeated, often desperately, in my prayers, because I believe there is beautiful power in speaking God's Word back to Him

There was the season of joy in redemption...(1 Thessalonians 5:16)
The season of purpose...(Romans 14:28)
The season of faith and letting go...(Matthew 11:29)
The season of grace...(2 Corinthians 12:9)
The season of hope...(Hebrews 6:19)

And now, I am living in a fantastic season of comfort, hence the verse at the top of this blog.

Not going to lie, it's kind of been my favorite one yet.  

In any case, here are the excerpts from today's devotional that sparked this random, rapidly typed and grossly unedited entry:

"The world is full of comfortless hearts, and ere thou are sufficient for this lofty ministry, thou must be trained.  And thy training is costly in the extreme; for, to render it perfect, thou too must pass through the same afflictions as are wringing countless hearts of tears and blood.  Thus thy own life becomes the hospital ward where thou are taught the divine art of comfort.  Thou art wounded, that in the binding up of thy wounds by the Great Physician, thou mayest learn how to render first aid to the wounded everywhere." - SELECTED

"God does not comfort us to make us comfortable, but to make us comforters." - Dr. Jowett.

In his book, Love Does, Bob Goff talks about how he sometimes feels like he understands God best through a rearview mirror.  I get it.  Looking back over my own hurts and heartbreaks, I can see where the life-changing lessons have better equipped me to empathize, connect, and offer comfort to others.

Comments

Unknown said…
I too feel as though I'm transitioning into a new season... As I have briefly written to you about. You've done so much for me already. :) I'll write to you soon. Oh, and you keep adding books to my list!
Unknown said…
You make me smile each time I see you online. I hope I get see your sparkling self in person someday soonish rather than laterish.
Vanessa's Dad said…
I'm praying that you keep God's promises before you always.

LOVE,
DAD