Above Everything

"Step out of the traffic!  Take a long, loving look at me, your High God, above politics, above everything."
Psalm 46: 10 (Message)

There's a whole lot going on in this world that I don't understand.  There's even more that I just plain don't know (or care to know) about.  My past apathy towards all things political is currently colliding with my new found social work passion for eradicating the very real and powerful structural oppression that stems from our current political system.  Where do I draw the line between fighting the political battle and focusing on the true End Result?

I'm still marinating on this issue.  I know life on earth is unfair.  I know there are things I can do to overcome this unfairness - even big, political things.  I know I can make a difference.

But I also know that even the most pure of motives can lead to an all-encompassing, overwhelming obsession with worldly policies and systems.  The politics of this world are gross, they are powerful, they are overwhelming and exhausting, but they are also arbitrary.  My true purpose is clear: I am here to serve.  Without Him, I can do nothing.  And without this purpose as my driving force, I am only spinning my wheels.

If I want to make some changes, I'm going to need some forward motion.

Comments

Janelle said…
There is an interesting book about the relationship between Christianity and the government titled "Why Government Can't Save You" by John MacArthur. The book helped to reassure me that God is sovereign in the realm of politics. "Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God." (Romans 13:1)

Some words of comfort for those of us making our way through this world in Christ: "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths." (Proverbs 3:5-6)
nbrown said…
Jamasina,

I'm not sure I know you personally, but I certainly appreciate your comment. It was EXACTLY what I needed to hear. Plus, your book recommendation totally speaks to the nerd in me that thrives on reading and learning from those wiser than myself. :) I've looked it up on Amazon and plan to order it promptly, as I'm in desperate need of some grounding while I progress through the rest of my MSW program. I know political action is going to be a reality of my future, but I want to make sure I'm doing it in a way that glorifies the Lord rather than further buying in to the corrupt ways of the world.

That was a long and mildly abstract way of saying "Thanks!"

-Natalie
Janelle said…
Hi Natalie,

I apologize, I should have told you who I was. This is Janelle. I was reading Andrea's blog and found your's there and decided to check it out.

I'm glad my comment was encouraging to you. I would love to hear about your thoughts on the book, too. The world needs more people who want to make changes that glorify God.

:-)
Janelle
Kendra said…
I hear ya. I usually watch the Today Show every morning, but sometimes I find I just CAN'T...it's too hard.

The career you are going into is going to be very challenging in many areas, and this broad one most of all I am sure.

But we know He is leading you into this field...so we can trust He will continue to be there.

Also, if this world were perfect, why would we ever long for Heaven?